Download as pdf or txt
Download as pdf or txt
You are on page 1of 3

TED演讲者:Aicha el-Wafi + Phyllis Rodriguez | 菲莉斯.罗德里格斯,艾莎.

瓦非
演讲标题:"9/11 healing: The mothers who found forgiveness, friendship" | 治愈911:寻找宽恕,友
谊的母亲们
内容概要:Aicha el-Wafi and Phyllis Rodriguez met around a shared tragedy -- and their
friendship has become a powerful symbol for forgiveness and dialogue.
菲莉斯.罗德里格斯和艾莎.瓦非从不计较得失之中衍生出了紧密的友情。罗德里格斯的儿子在2001年911撞
击世贸大厦时丧生;瓦非的儿子撒迦利亚.穆萨维因发起这次袭击而被定罪并判处死刑。为了寻求希望中的和
平,这两位母亲互相了解并互相倚重。
www.XiYuSoft.com 锡育软件
Phyllis Rodriguez: We are here today because of the fact that 菲莉斯·罗德里格斯:我们今天站在这里 是因为 我
we have what most people consider an unusual friendship. 们拥有大多数认为的 不寻常的一份友情。[00:14]
And it is. 而且它的确是这样。[00:22]
And yet, it feels natural to us now. 现在,我们已经感觉很自然了。[00:24]
I first learned that my son had been in the World Trade 我起初知道 我的儿子在2001年9月11日早晨 进入
Center on the morning of September 11th, 2001. 了世贸大厦。[00:26]
We didn't know if he had perished yet until 36 hours later. 我们不知道 是否他还活着 直到事发36小时之后。
[00:36]
At the time, we knew that it was political. 那时, 我知道这是政治原因。[00:43]
We were afraid of what our country was going to do in the 我们担心国家会以我们孩子的名义 要做的那些事-
name of our son -- my husband, Orlando, and I and our - 我丈夫,奥兰多,和我以及我们一家。[00:50]
family.
And when I saw it -- and yet, through the shock, the terrible 当我看到的时候-- 可是,经历了这种震惊, 可怕的震
shock, and the terrible explosion in our lives, literally, we were惊, 真正意义上的生活中可怕的震惊, 我们并没有
not vengeful. 心存报复。[00:58]
And a couple of weeks later when Zacarias Moussaoui was 几周之后 当撒迦利亚·穆萨维被指控为 六个密谋制
indicted on six counts of conspiracy to commit terrorism, 造恐怖袭击的份子之一, 同时美国政府对他将判决
and the U.S. government called for a death penalty for him, if 死刑,如果定罪的话, 我丈夫和我 也用完全不同的
convicted, my husband and I spoke out in opposition to 角度,群众的角度讨论过这些。[01:12]
that, publicly.
perished: adj.感觉很冷的;脆裂的/v.灭亡(perish的过去分词);枯萎 in the name of: 以…的名义 vengeful: adj.复仇的,报复
的;复仇心重的 indicted: vt.控告,起诉;[法]揭发 conspiracy: n.阴谋;共谋;阴谋集团 convicted: adj.证明有罪的;已被判刑
的/v.定罪(convict的过去分词);证明…有罪 in opposition to: 反对;与…相反
Through that and through human rights groups, we were 通过这些 也通过人权组织, 我们走到了一起 还有
brought together with several other victims' families. 一些其他受害者家属。[01:34]
When I saw Aicha in the media, coming over when her son 当我在媒体上看到艾莎, 同时她的儿子被指控的时
was indicted, and I thought, "What a brave woman. 候, 我就想,“多么勇敢的女人。[01:43]
Someday I want to meet that woman when I'm stronger." 当我更坚强的时候,我想见见这个女人。”[01:52]
I was still in deep grief; I knew I didn't have the strength. 我仍旧沉浸在悲伤中, 我知道我不够坚强。[01:56]
I knew I would find her someday, or we would find each 我知道有一天我能找到她, 也许我们会找到彼此。
other. [01:59]
Because, when people heard that my son was a victim, I got 因为,当人们听说我儿子是受害者的时候, 我立即得
immediate sympathy. 到了同情。[02:03]
But when people learned what her son was accused of, she 但是当人们听说 她的儿子是被指控的时候, 她却没
didn't get that sympathy. 有得到同情。[02:09]
But her suffering is equal to mine. 但是她和我一样的痛苦。[02:17]
So we met in November 2002, and Aicha will now tell you 于是我们在2002年11月相遇了。 接下来艾莎会告
how that came about. 诉你们 事情是怎么发生的。[02:19]
(Translator) Aicha el-Wafi: Good afternoon, ladies and (翻译员)艾莎·瓦非:下午好,女士们先生们。
gentlemen. [02:27]
I am the mother of Zacarias Moussaoui. 我是撒迦利亚·穆萨维的母亲。[02:34]
And I asked the Organization of Human Rights to put me in 我请求 人权组织 让我和那些受害者的父母取得联
touch with the parents of the victims. 系。[02:39]
in touch with: 同……有联系,和……有接触
So they introduced me to five families. 于是他们就把我介绍给 5个家庭。[03:00]
And I saw Phyllis, and I watched her. 当我遇见菲莉斯的时候,我注意到她。[03:09]
She was the only mother in the group. 她是这个团体中唯一的母亲。[03:14]
The others were brothers, sisters. 其他都是兄弟,姐妹。[03:19]
And I saw in her eyes that she was a mother, just like me. 当我从她的目光中看出 她是个母亲,和我一样的母
亲。[03:25]
I suffered a lot as a mother. 作为一个母亲我也遭受了很多悲痛。[03:31]
I was married when I was 14. 我14岁结的婚。[03:38]
I lost a child when I was 15, a second child when I was 16. 15岁失去了第一个孩子, 16岁失去了第二个孩子。
[03:43]
So the story with Zacarias was too much really. 所以撒迦利亚的事对我真的意味太多。[03:54]
And I still suffer, because my son is like he's buried alive. 我仍旧还在悲痛中, 因为我的儿子 就像被活埋了一
样。[04:00]
I know she really cried for her son. 我了解她的确为她儿子痛哭不已。[04:11]
But she knows where he is. 但是她起码知道他在哪里。[04:16]
My son, I don't know where he is. 我儿子,我甚至不知道他在何方。[04:25]
I don't know if he's alive. I don't know if he's tortured. 我不知道他是否还活着。我不知道他是否被虐待
过。[04:27]
I don't know what happened to him. 我不知道在他身上发生了什么。[04:29]
So that's why I decided to tell my story, so that my suffering 这也是为什么我决定讲述我的故事的原因, 以便我
is something positive for other women. 的痛苦能对其他妇女有些正面的帮助。[04:35]
tortured: v.拷打;虐待(torture的过去分词);使扭曲
For all the women, all the mothers that give life, you can give 为了所有的妇女,所有赐予生命的母亲, 你们可以恢
back, you can change. 复, 你们可以改变。[04:45]
It's up to us women, because we are women, because we love 这取决于我们妇女, 因为我们是女人, 因为我们爱
our children. 我们的孩子。[04:56]
We must be hand-in-hand and do something together. 我们一定要联手起来 一起做一些事。[05:10]
It's not against women, it's for us, for us women, for our 这事不是为了反对妇女, 这是为了我们,为了我们妇
children. 女, 为了我们的孩子们。[05:16]
I talk against violence, against terrorism. 我反对暴力,反对恐怖主义。[05:31]
I go to schools to talk to young, Muslim girls so they don't 我去学校 和那些年轻的穆斯林女孩交谈 所以在她
accept to be married against their will very young. 们年少时不会接受违背她们意志的婚姻。[05:34]
So if I can save one of the young girls, and avoid that they 如果我能拯救一个年轻的女孩, 从而避免她们过早
get married and suffer as much as I did, well this is 结婚而像我一样遭受这么多, 起码这就是好的事
something good. 情。[05:55]
This is why I'm here in front of you. 这就是为什么我在这里站在你们面前。[06:07]
PR: I would like to say that I have learned so much from 菲莉斯·罗德里格斯:我想说的是 我从艾莎这里学到
Aicha, starting with that day we had our very first meeting 了很多, 回首我们初次见面的那天 还有其他家庭的
with other family members -- which was a very private 成员-- 这是个受保护的很私下的聚会, 因为当时是
meeting with security, because it was November 2002, 2002年11月,[06:09]
and, frankly, we were afraid of the super-patriotism of that 老实说,我们担心国内的那些极端(左翼)爱国主
time in the country -- those of us family members. 义者-- 那些我们家族成员。[06:25]
give back: 归还;反射;恢复 hand-in-hand: adj.并进的;手拉手的;亲密的
But we were all so nervous. 但是我们都很紧张。[06:35]
'"Why does she want to meet us?" “为什么她想见我们?”[06:38]
And then she was nervous. 同时她也很紧张。[06:41]
'"Why did we want to meet her?" “为什么我们想见她?”[06:43]
www.XiYuSoft.com 锡育软件
What did we want from each other? 我们彼此间想得到些什么?[06:45]
Before we knew each others' names, or anything, we had 在我们了解其他人的姓名和其他一些事情之前, 我
embraced and wept. 们已经哭着相互抱在一起。[06:49]
Then we sat in a circle with support, with help, from people 接着我们坐成一个圈 在和解的环境下和那些经历
experienced in this kind of reconciliation. 过此事的人 互相扶持,互相帮助。[06:54]
And Aicha started, and she said, "I don't know if my son is 艾莎起的头 她讲述道, “我不知道我的儿子 是有
guilty or innocent, but I want to tell you how sorry I am for 罪还是无辜的, 但是我想告诉你们我有多么抱歉 对
what happened to your families. 于那些发生在你们家庭里的事。[07:03]
I know what it is to suffer, and I feel that if there is a crime, a 我知道这是很痛苦, 同时我以为,如果有人犯罪的
person should be tried fairly and punished." 话, 那人应该被公平的对待和定罪。”[07:20]
But she reached out to us in that way, and it was, I'd like to 但她是用这种方式与我们感同身受。 这是,我想说,
say, it was an ice-breaker. 这是一种冰释前嫌的方式。[07:32]
And what happened then is we all told our stories, and we all 接下去发生的是,我们全都讲述了自己的故事, 我们
connected as human beings. 作为平等人互相交流着。[07:40]
embraced: 包含/拥抱/接受 wept: v.哭泣(weep的过去式) in a circle: 成圆圈 reconciliation: n.和解;调和;和谐;甘愿 ice-
breaker: n.破冰船
By the end of the afternoon -- it was about three hours after 在下午结束的时候-- 大概是午餐之后3个小时-- 我
lunch -- we'd felt as if we'd known each other forever. 们感觉就好像我们永远了解彼此一样。[07:46]
Now what I learned from her, is a woman, not only who could 我从她身上学到的, 是作为一个女人,可以变的如此
be so generous under these present circumstances and what 宽容 不但在当时的情况下 那时所发生的, 和她孩
it was then, and what was being done to her son, but the life 子所经历过的遭遇, 而且是她所经历的人生。
she's had. [07:54]
I never had met someone with such a hard life, from such a 从我经历过的不同文化和环境, 我从来没有见到过,
有如此艰苦命运的人。[08:07]
I never had met someone with such a hard life, from such a
totally different culture and environment from my own. 有如此艰苦命运的人。[08:07]
And I feel that we have a special connection, which I value 我觉得 我们有着 一种特别的联系, 一种我很珍惜
very much. 的联系。[08:16]
And I think it's all about being afraid of the other, but 我想这都是因为 互相之间的关心, 但是当做到这地
making that step and then realizing, "Hey, this wasn't so 步 就会意识到,“啊,这不是那么难。[08:24]
hard.
Who else can I meet that I don't know, or that I'm so different 我还能遇见一些我所不了解的人, 或是和我与众不
from?" 同的人吗?[08:35]
So, Aicha, do you have a couple of words for conclusion? 所以,艾莎, 你有要总结的 话吗?[08:41]
Because our time is up. 因为我们的时间快到了。[08:47]
(Laughter) (笑声)[08:49]
(Translator) AW: I wanted to say that we have to try to know (翻译员)艾莎·瓦非:我想说 我们要尝试着了解其
other people, the other. 他人,其他事,[08:57]
You have to be generous, and your hearts must be generous, 你要变得大度, 同时你的心境也必须变得宽容, 你
your mind must be generous. 的想法必须变得大度。[09:05]
You must be tolerant. 你要学会宽恕。[09:12]
You have to fight against violence. 你不得不与暴力作斗争。[09:17]
fight against: v.对抗;反对;与……作斗争
And I hope that someday we'll all live together in peace and 我希望有一天我们会生活在一起 和平尊重其他
respecting each other. 人。[09:23]
This is what I wanted to say. 这就是我想说的。[09:29]
(Applause) (掌声)[09:31]
respecting: prep.关于;就…而言;鉴于/v.尊敬;考虑(respect的ing形式)
**************************************************************************************************
Warning:本文是由<锡育看电影学英语软件>生成导出,请用于个人学习,不要用于商业用途。
否则,导致的一切法律后果,均由您个人承担,锡育软件概不负责。
**************************************************************************************************

You might also like